background

background

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 22nd


I feel really lucky to have this week off from school! I have so much to do for my classroom and to prepare for the holidays that I can really use the time. It gives me some time to create as well!
My first grade class will be studying South America for an upcoming theme. Inspired by Arthur Dorros' story Tonight is Carnival, I decided to make arpilleras with my students to kisk off the theme. Arpilleras are folk-art fabric wall hangings that include day to day scenes. Dorros' entire book is illustrated with them. I just love the 3D elements. Today's post is a sample that I made to show my kiddos...a more simplified version using pom poms, pipe cleaners, fabric, and glue. I also created 15 backgrounds and prepped lots of felt shapes to get them started. We are going to have so much fun!

5 comments:

  1. I am a retired teacher. I taught first grade for five years and after getting over the fear that noone would be able to read it was one of my favorite grades to teach. I bet you kids can't wait to come to school each day. They are so lucky to have such a creative teacher.
    Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you can bring art to learning - and such an fantastic project for young or not as young!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely project art and culture, a great mix!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delightful and tactile way to bring learning alive! You are a very creative teacher...I bet your students love coming to school each day! (Found you through AEDM.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's lovely!!! My daughter just finished her South American studies. She's in second grade this year.

    I hope you have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete